Here's a thumbnail sketch of how I intend to convert the Pulsar to electrons. Some of these items are obviously simplified and not in the strictest order, but you get the idea.
- Submit plans to Queensland Transport and get approval for the conversion
- Remove exhaust, fuel tank, fuel lines & engine
- Measure transmission bell housing
- Design & fabricate connection plate and coupling for the torque converter
- Design & fabricate a bracket to hold the motor in place and install it
- Install the electric motor in the bracket and connect it to the torque converter via the plate and coupling
- Design and fabricate a bracket to hold the alternator and vacuum pump
- Install alternator and vacuum pump (for the brakes)
- Design and fabricate battery racks: 1 in the engine bay, 1 in the fuel tank space and a backup in the boot
- Install controller, pot box and battery cables
- Design and fabricate charging system
- Purchase and install voltmeter and display on dashboard
- Tow the finished EV to the inspection depot, get insurance and rego finished, then drive it away!
I have a fair idea how most of it fits together, and I know the hard bits will be:
- Fooling the transmission into knowing when to change gear
- Design and installation of the brackets to hold the engine and alternator
- Modifying the demister/hot air blower to comply with safety standards
- Affording the batteries to get the range I want (50km)
Over the next few posts I'll put some technical specs together and a costing guess. I'm looking for an electric motor in Australia, but I may have to import it from the USA. Both KiwiEv and Electric Echo had to use US motors, so I may have to follow suit.
As you can imagine, this kind of project isn't cheap, and with a family to feed, house and clothe, it all adds up. Time may be money in some cases but here, it's definitely a case of the more money I can bank, the faster this project will go!
I'm working two jobs at the moment but if you can spare a few dollars (or a few hundred), you can be assured it is going to a very worthy cause and helping to do a little planet-saving. Please use the "Donate" button to deposit funds into my PayPal account.