Mainly I've been concentrating on two projects: the instrumentation and the rust in the door pillars.
The instruments are finished, all I need to do is label the gauges and wire the box in. I'll post up some pics shortly. This will tell the driver how "full" the battery "fuel tank" is, and how fast they are consuming the energy while driving. If I keep the batteries above 50% and try to draw less than 450 Amps while accellerating, I think we can optimise the range and best of all - keep it simple.
I've also learned a lot of things about rust, and the main thing I've learned is: I HATE SANDING. It's only surface rust, but it's starting to show under the paint and unless I get it out now, it will only get worse. So the process goes something like this:
Sand off the paint near the rust patches
Apply wax & grease remover
Apply rust converter to the area, allow to cure for 20 minutes
Wipe over with a damp rag, then a metho rag, then a clean rag
Cover all areas you don't want pain on with newspaper and masking tape
Spray with primer, let it dry properly, then wait another 5 minutes just to be safe
Finish up with a couple of coats of matt black
All in all, I'm pretty impressed with my handiwork, and the new paint looks GOOD. But the rest of the doors are original paint and faded, scratched and worn - there is a REAL contrast between the new & old sections. So I've resigned myself to repainting the whole window frame section of the doors.
I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have the heater core now, so when the ceramic heater arrives I can get stuck into that little project before Christmas.
Please donate. I still need the motor and controller, so I'd be more than happy to advertise your business on this site and on the car, and it's really starting to generate interest. I'm getting almost 300 hits a month on this blog alone.